Tomato figures in the MedAgri region in 2010:
- The MedAgri region produced about 11.9 million tonnes
- The MedAgri region produced 107% of tomatoes that it consumed
- Egypt was the largest producer with about 8.5 tonnes (72% of total regional production)
- The MedAgri region exported about 764 thousand tonnes
- Morocco was the largest exporter with about 372 thousand tonnes (49% of total regional exports)
- Domestic consumption in the MedAgri region was about 11.1 million tonnes
- Egypt had the highest domestic consumption in the MedAgri region with about 8.5 million tonnes (77% of total regional domestic consumption)
- Per capita consumption in the MedAgri region was about 85kg/yr
Orange figures in the MedAgri region in 2010:
- The MedAgri region produced about 3.4 million tonnes
- The MedAgri region produced 131% of oranges that it consumed
- Egypt was the largest producer with about 2.4 million tonnes (70% of total regional production)
- The MedAgri region exported about 845 thousand tonnes
- Egypt was the largest exporter with about 636 thousand tonnes (75% of total regional exports)
- Domestic consumption in the MedAgri region was about 2.6 million tonnes
- Egypt had the highest domestic consumption with about 1.8 million tonnes (68% of total regional domestic consumption)
- Per capita consumption in the MedAgri region was about 20kg/yr
Fruit and vegetables contain vitamins and minerals that can protect the body against certain chronic diseases and, due to their nutritional and health benefits, it is recommended that they form the basis of a person's diet. Worldwide cultivation, consumption and international trade of fruits and vegetables has expanded in the past few decades at a higher rate than other agricultural commodities, with global production rising by nearly a third over the past decade. Although trade is growing, it remains limited due to the perishable nature of fresh produce. In terms of tons produced, potatoes (about 374 million tons produced globally in 2011) and tomatoes (about 159 million tons produced globally in 2011) are the two fresh produce grown in the largest quantities in the world. Bananas and potatoes are the two most traded fresh produce (World banana imports about 18 million tons and exports 17.6 million tons in 2010. World potato imports about 10.8 million tons and exports about 11.4 million tons in 2010).
wide range of fruit and vegetables are grown in and exported from the MedAgri region, however
tomatoes are one of the major vegetables grown in all 4 countries and are the most important, both in terms of cash value and
total tonnage produced. Egypt is the world?s 5th largest
producer of tomatoes (producing 8.1 million tons in 2011), after China, India, the USA and Turkey. Tunisia and Morocco are the world's 15th and 17th largest producers (Tunisia producing about 1.3 million tons and Morocco producing about 1.2 million tons in 2010). In terms of exports, the 4 MedAgri countries exported about 764 thousand tons in 2010 (Morocco 49% and Jordan 49%). Morocco and Jordan are the world's 6th and 7th largest exporters of tomatoes (Morocco exporting 372 thousand tons and Jordan exporting 371 thousand tons in 2010).
Citrus fruits are considered to be one of the major fruit
crops of the region, of which oranges dominate both production and exports over
other citrus fruits. In 2011, the MedAgri region produced about 3.6 million tons of oranges, 71% which was by Egypt (Egypt is also the world?s 7th largest producer of
oranges, producing about 2.6 million tons in 2011). In terms of exports, the MedAgri region exported about 845 thousand tons of oranges in 2010 (Egypt 75%, Morocco 22%). Egypt and Morocco are the world's 4th and 9th largest exporters of oranges (Egypt exporting about 636 thousand tons and Morocco about 183 thousand tons in 2010).
Other major fresh produce grown in the region include potatoes (about 6.9 millions tons produced in the region in 2011), onions (about 3.7 million tons produced in the region in 2011), and watermelons (about 2.5 million tons produced in the region in 2011).
For world and regional fruit and vegetable production and trade statistics, please refer to "Production and trade" in the resource menu below